The MasterCard Foundation Online Postgraduate Scholarships will offer students in Africa who have high academic and leadership potential but few educational options 3-year part-time online Master’s scholarships and 2-year part-time postgraduate Diploma scholarships.
The University of Edinburgh is looking for excellent young individuals who are committed to completing their education online to apply for an online scholarship. Online learning is a great method to get a degree while maintaining a flexible schedule and a home-based lifestyle. The University of Edinburgh’s online degrees are completely comparable to degrees earned on campus.
Candidates may do one of the following:
- Online Masters (part-time over 3 years) OR
- Online Post-graduate Diploma (part-time over 2 years)
- Host: Mastercard Foundation
- Study Abroad: Study in UK
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PGD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Monthly Stipend | Laptop
- Deadline: January 27, 2023
Those who have earned an undergraduate degree and desire to gain more specialized knowledge in the same field of study or a related job field are often the target audience for masters programs. The MCF grant will pay for the whole cost of tuition, a laptop, high-speed internet access, a small study stipend, and the opportunity to attend a summer school in person in Africa.
Postgraduate degrees are more vocational in nature and are intended for people who are thinking about changing their careers. Candidates from Sub-Saharan African universities may apply with either an undergraduate or graduate degree (provided they will graduate from either degree before December 2022).
You must meet the eligibility criteria to apply:
- Applicants must qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh for a relevant degree programme listed above. You will generally need to have achieved the equivalent of a UK Second Class (Upper) Bachelor’s (Hons) degree or higher. Find out more about the postgraduate entry requirements for your country
- Applicants must have graduated from undergraduate study before December 2022 and must be in possession of a degree certificate and official, final transcript to upload alongside their application
- Applicants must be residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Applicants must be without the financial means to study oversees independently
- We particularly welcome applications from female scholars, scholars from refugee and displaced backgrounds, and scholars with disabilities (see FAQs below for further information)
- Applicants must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community
- If applying for the Masters programme: Applicants should not have previously completed a postgraduate degree and should not be enrolled (or apply to enrol) at a separate university whilst on the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
- If applying for the PG diploma: Applicants can either have an undergraduate or Master’s degree from a Sub-Saharan African university (provided they will graduate from either degree before December 2022). If you have a Master’s degree, our admissions team will review you first degree (undergraduate) to meet the post graduate diploma entry requirement. The MCF team will review your Master’s degree transcripts to confirm the graduation date and location of your University.
- Applicants must be 35 or under on the 1 September 2023
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The scholarship is designed to cover three-years of part-time online study.
The scholarship will cover the
- full tuition fees,
- a small study stipend to allow for access to high-quality internet,
- a laptop and
- the opportunity to attend an in-person summer school in Africa
Scholarships are available for the following online postgraduate programs only:
- International Development (Masters route only)
- Global Food Security and Nutrition (Masters or Diploma)
- Global Challenges (Masters or Diploma)
- Carbon Management (Masters route only)
- One Health (Masters or Diploma)
What is the Method of Application?
Admission to the University of Edinburgh requires meeting certain academic requirements. It is preferable for candidates to apply for this scholarship before the university.
If you believe you meet all the eligibility criteria please apply.
Applications for our 2023 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, for postgraduate degrees only, will open on Thursday 15 December at 10am UK time and will close on Friday 27 January at 5pm UK time.
Please review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section for further details.
If you have any queries regarding the Mastercard Foundation Scholarships which are not answered in the FAQs, please contact us at: [email protected].
We will also host online Information Sessions on 13 and 20 January 2023 from 4-5pm UK time for those interested in finding out more about the program and application process. If you would like to attend please sign up to the session using this form. We will provide a recording of the 13 January session on this page on 14 January.
Deadline: January 27, 2023
Application timeline 2023
|15 December 2022 (10am UK time)||Applications open|
|13 and 20 January 2023 (4 – 5pm UK time)||Application Information Sessions – Register for the session|
|27 January 2023 (5pm UK time)||Applications close|
|10 – 13 April 2023||Online Distance Learners (ODL) Interview shortlisting begins; both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified (Please note references will be requested for applicants invited for an interview)|
|18 April – 12 May 2023||ODL interviews take place|
|Mid-end of May 2023||ODL Interview outcomes will be announced|
|June – July 2023||Support provided through admissions processes|
|September 2023||Academic program starts|